Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Warm-ups

Wednesday, March 3rd:  Okay, I am not quite as sore as I thought I might be based on yesterday's discomfort.  I did half an hour on the elliptical this morning followed by a leg workout, PT exercises, and lessons.  The ligament by my ankle is a little sore however, so although I planned on pitching tomorrow, I am going to do a spin class and core work instead.   I will pitch on Friday again and do some speed work and leg bands.  I think that this line of discussion lends itself to reviewing warm-ups.

Most of us seem to have a good sense of how to warm-up.  It is important to get the blood circulating and actually become physiologically warm before engaging in any strenuous physical activity.  If you are sore, this could potentially take a bit longer than is typical, and keep that in mind.  Most trainers currently agree that dynamic stretching is better leading up to the activity, and static stretching (where you are standing still) is better post activity.  I do find that this works well for me.  If you are sore, I would also recommend rolling the muscles (love the Tiger Tail!) prior to engaging in physical activity.  Make sure that you know the different directions that the muscles flow in, so as to use the roller most effectively.  Post pitching, it is sooooo important to ice your arm to reduce any swelling.  Don't ice for more than twenty minutes! As many of you already know, the ice is rendered ineffective past that point, but I also managed to give myself frostbite after icing for too long and without enough barrier between me and the ice.  That was one embarrassing trip to the doctor (doctor: "how did you get frostbite in the middle of July?" me: "Oooohh, that's what frostbite looks like").
These are general ideas for warm-ups, but what are your specific "rituals" before a game?  What do you find works the best for you?  Do you warm up in different positioning (snaps, power position, superman, etc.) or do you prefer starting the motion slower and then picking up pace?  Why do you prefer this method over others?

No comments:

Post a Comment