Monday, March 22, 2010

Learning is always fun!

What an incredible, but busy week last week!  I did a little more lifting last week than I have been doing.  For some reason, with all the pitching, I just don't feel like lifting as much, even though I know it is important.  I threw today for a little over an hour working a ton on form, drop and curve.  I had so much to think about after Friday (Muscle Mastery Class), that I really wanted to explore the "personalities" (as Dr. Barnathan says) of different muscles as they work together in the pitch.  I therefore did a lot of filming today as well.  I tried a few adjustments, modified, and then filmed again.  It is almost like watching a different pitcher.

So Friday was exceptionally busy, as you may have gathered.  I was up at 5:30 so that I could workout and have breakfast before class began.   My brain was on overdrive listening to all the different ways in which the muscles in the upper body work optimally.  I then, of course, had to take every bit of information I learned and apply it to pitching.  Here are some important tidbits:
-The shoulderblade has more muscles attached to it than ANYTHING other than the pelvis.  This is incredible when you think about it.  This is why it is absolutely integral to ensure that your shoulderblade has a free and healthy range of motion.  If you can hug yourself pretty easily, your shoulderblades are relatively healthy. 
-Building speed has a lot to do with being able to release the rhomboids at the end of the pitch, as opposed to tightening the pecs.  This will help the "whip action" of the arm.  You should stretch your rhomboids regularly to help with this motion (I willl show you at your next lesson). 
-I learned a ton of new stretches for the upper body (so important for this time of year).
-We know that locking out the elbow is a TERRIBLE habit, but I learned what exactly happens when you continually lock (maybe you don't want to know - just trust me, don't lock your elbow).
-The best workout for your forearms isn't actually with weights (surprise!).  You will actually get an excellent workout by squeezing rubber balls, moving your fingers on all different planes of motion, and squeezing sand.  You also want to avoid stretching the forearm by pulling.  Rather, a light twisting motion is best. 

Much of  the other information I learned is visual, so ask about it during your next lesson.  Needless to say, I ran to my facility after the class and pitched.  I applied as many of the principals as I possibly could and then worked on it more in depth today.  Fascinating stuff!  Saturday was crazy with lessons, and Sunday I ran four miles, and then walked for about two hours on the beach (a little tired today).  The beach did give me an opportunity to test out "playing in the sand" to work the forearm.  It certainly feels different, and I could see where it would be very effective when done frequently.  

No comments:

Post a Comment