Monday, March 29, 2010

Feeling Great

Friday was another insane day, with a 5:30 wake-up to workout (when pressed for time, always better to work out at home than not at all), class from 8 to 4, and an evening full of lessons.  When I do an in-home workout, I usually either do a pilates video or make up my own high-intensity stuff and mix it in with some ab work and PT.  Class was very interesting and focused more on nutrition and goal-setting than anatomy.  During class, I have decided that I will absolutely, undoubtedly do a seminar at my facility on healthy eating.  There is just too much that the general public does not know about eating well, and everyone needs guidance.  I can't think of any other industry where so much conflicting information has arisen over the past twenty years.  I see why people are frustrated when trying to eat well and I want to help.  It has been consuming my thoughts since Friday.

I had lessons all day on Saturday.  This time of year definitely requires me to use all my skills as a psychology minor and certified hypnotist.  My girls are so wonderful and some are stuck in some pretty difficult situations.  As pitchers, we often need to learn to make the best of these situations, and try to thrive in the dark, so to speak.  Despite our challenges, we are exceeding expectations and Friday's Newsday looked like a tribute to my girls!  I brought it to class, and it was the certainly the topic of discussion for a while.  How could you not love such a fascinating sport and a fascinating mechanical motion?

Sunday I pitched, really working on a strong left side and the whip action of the arm.  I pitched with my leg brace on and felt a little more comfortable exploding with that.  I think that I am still a little cautious without it, so it won't hurt to get a little extra support for that posterior tibial tendon.  I worked on rise and curve, which were both explosive and feeling really strong.  I am starting to finally feel comfortable pitching again and am not sore at all today.  I did a leg/ab workout right after pitching, and I am still feeling great today (though a bit tired).  In class on Friday, we discussed how it takes the body about six weeks to adapt to new physical challenges.  I am hovering around the six week mark.  For those of you out there who think you can prepare for a season in three weeks after doing nothing all winter, you are going to get your butt kicked.    

Today I did cardio, abs, chest and back.  I do find that a light workout the day after throwing can really help ease the soreness (though today no soreness anyway, hooray!).  It is really important to get a good night's sleep to promote muscle recovery and also to eat very well.  More to come on the topic of what sort of food powers you best.  I am really looking forward to putting a seminar together.  I have been writing it since Friday in my "spare time" (like if I am waiting in line somewhere, ha ha).

No comments:

Post a Comment