Friday, March 12, 2010

Don't let anyone put you down!

Wednesday, March 10th: I ran four miles and then walked the dogs for another mile or so.  Running outside feels amazing when the weather is so nice.

Thursday, March 11th:  I walked the dogs and did an hour and a half of Vinyasa yoga.  This type of yoga is such a great combination of strength, balance, concentration, and flexibility.  It is perfect for a pitcher as it emphasizes all the traits that should be valuable to her.

Friday, March 12th:  I am feeling a bit under the weather, but am slated to pitch today, so I am just going to adjust my pitching workout accordingly.  Remember pitchers, when you are congested, it is much more difficult to maintain balance.  Adjust your practice to accomodate.  I walked the dogs to warm up, did PT exercises and core work before pitching (I usually like to do it after).  I also threw with my left side first today and threw longer with my left side (about 25 minutes).  I am starting to think that I should have been lefty to begin with, since my motion seems to feel more fluid on that side (though not nearly as powerful).   After watching that appalling dip with my left leg on film Tuesday, I decided to focus primarily on that today.  Run throw and run, throw and kick, step ups (very tough for me) and throw and jump comprised most of the workout.  I also did lots of throwmax and a little curve.  Great movement on that curve today, but a it was a bit wild.   I spent a long time stretching and rolling my muscles at the end of my session and am currently icing.  

Throwing presents many challenges.  Some physical (mostly when you are feeling sick, sore, or not having a great day in general), but mostly mental.  Varsity tryouts are coming to a close right now, and while many of you have done some amazing things (congratulations to my seventh and eighth graders who made JV and Varsity), others may be disappointed with where they ended up.  Some of you may have worked hard enough throughout the year to deserve a varsity spot, but have lost your position to upperclassman.  I think the best way to deal with these types of disappoints is to use it as fuel.  What do I mean by that?  Anything that someone says to you that makes you feel put down, upset or like you have wasted your efforts should be used to make you work harder towards achieving your goals.  Pitchers in general have to have a very "thick skin."  Girls who are easily upset or rattled tend not to last too long at the higher level.  Does that mean you are not allowed to feel discouraged or sad?  No, of course not.  It is what you do with those emotions that will distinguish you from the quitters or from girls who are only moderately successful.  Don't let others take your fire away from you!  Some of the greatest athletes of our time were told they weren't good enough at some point or another (Micheal Jordan comes to mind).  Right now, you should try to harness one thought or one idea that you can always return to when someone tells you that you are not good enough.  Write it down, make it your pitching mantra, and pitch your heart out girls!  Love the game and love your contribution to it, no matter what level you are playing at.  If you passed this on to anyone who has ever struggled to succeed, you will probably  find that it circulates the entire athletic community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment