Monday, April 19, 2010

Working through the tough spots

Ever since I started throwing again, I feel as though I have been improving little by little each time.  Today, I kind of felt more like I was stuck in quicksand.  My speed wasn't as good, and I just felt wiped out.  My drop and change were very strong, but I didn't even really throw for a very long time.  I did do a bit over five miles yesterday, which might have something to do with it, but I thought that this would be a good opportunity to discuss some challenges that we face as pitchers.  Working hard is a very good investment, but it doesn't usually pay off right away, and we sometimes suffer setbacks.  Injuries, exhaustion, not connecting with your coach or instructor, and even just having a bad day are all factors.

So how do we work through these difficulties, especially if it comes at a bad time (like playoffs or while a college coach is watching)?  This is where mental toughness separates the good pitchers from the great.  A lack of mental toughness makes some girls quit altogether.  I have seen girls who far surpassed their peers in skill at a younger level and then couldn't take the pressure or the level of commitment required at the higher level.  Even if you don't see the fruits of your practice labors paying off immediately, you must know that practicing in general will train your body to better perform the right movements in high-pressure situations.  The only exception to this rule is if you are practicing with incorrect mechanics or if you are not connecting well with your coach and therefore not understanding what you need to accomplish in practice.  Otherwise, if you are not having a successful practice in one area of your pitching (like speed), redirect your attention to another area where you might excel on that particular day.  For example, if your speed is off, your rise will probably not work very well, but drop and change will be a good place to focus your energy.  This will keep you from feeling discouraged and will give you a sense of accomplishment.  Over time, it will help mental toughness, because you feel as though you can do well even when you don't have "your best stuff."

If you are not throwing well because you are exhausted physically (mentally is a whole separate issue), then be very careful.  I find that this typically tends to be a precursor to injury.  If you are practicing and feeling a little tired, keep your pitch count low, and make sure to stretch well and ice afterwards.  In games, I think that it is best to keep your coach abreast of your level of exhaustion.  When I was in high school, my coaches would have to drag me out of the game.  I didn't care if I was so tired that I could barely hold the ball.  I wanted in!  As I got older, I realized this was a  good way to get hurt and also a very selfish thing to do for my team.  If it was a close game and I gave up big hits because of exhaustion, I wasn't doing them any favors.  In my last few years playing, if I felt like I was running out of steam, I simply let my coach know "I feel like I am slowing down a little" or "my movement isn't as good as it was in the first few innings."  He would then warm up a reliever.  I stayed healthy and we won almost all of those games. 

To figure out when exhaustion really does set in for windmill pitchers, we are working on our muscle fatigue study.  Today, we will be measuring Bella after her game against MacArthur.  We are hoping to finish up all of our test subjects before the fall so that we can send in the data to Lenox Hill at that point.  Very exciting stuff and I will keep you posted.  Until then, keep your spirits high even if you have a rough day.  Always keep your long-term goals in sight and stay healthy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment