Sunday, April 11, 2010

Success!

First and foremost, I am so honored to have so many of my wonderful students mentioned in Newsday today.  I am also thrilled to see many of them getting some airtime on MSG Varsity.  My goodness, I am raising a bunch of celebrities.  This week has been fast-paced and crazy.  I have been doing pyramids for lifting (when you start with low weight and several reps then increase to high weight and low reps).  I haven't done pyramids in a long time, and they are great, but making me tired.  On the plus side, I threw on Friday and am finally feeling like I have all my speed back.  For those of you struggling with speed, or thinking that speed and mechanics are not linked, I can tell you that those weeks I really spent honing my mechanics were not producing velocity immediately.  For a while, it did feel a little like going backwards, and that is always frustrating.  It wasn't until I really felt comfortable with the movements and then added power that I started to really get great results.  My rise, drop, inside curve, and change-up were also feeling great and I wasn't sore at all the next day (thank you ice!).  Also keep in mind that it usually takes about six weeks to start seeing dramatic improvements in skills.  Keep working hard and you will succeed!

This past Saturday was also the seminar on eating well.  I really shouldn't have called it a seminar, because it was a little more interactive.  We tried different foods, looked at portion sizes, discussed what we would order from different menus, and did so much more.  I really love doing seminars.  The teacher in me is happy for days afterwards.  I particularly like doing this type of seminar, because I want my young athletes to have good eating skills for life.  I think it is one of the most valuable skills an individual can learn, since eating well can help to manage headaches, stress, depression, health, and so forth.  Food can be pretty amazing when it is used properly.  We just went shopping at Whole Foods, and I felt like Charlie when he first steps into Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.  That place is amazing.  

I am looking forward to another amazing week of games.  Keep at it everyone, you are making me so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment