Sunday, February 28, 2010

Opportunity

I will be the first to admit that being an athlete has afforded me many opportunities in life that I would have otherwise not been privy to.  As early as fourteen, I was extremely aware of how earning an athletic scholarship could change one's entire life.  I was also aware of other external rewards as I was fortunate and dedicated enough to be the recipient of many accolades for my pitching efforts.  Plus, nothing tops that adrenaline high that comes when you have just smoked the competition.  I have played at a Division I level (even in the College World Series), and seen friends go on to play at the professional level, and even the Olympics.  The fact that I knew the "ins and outs" of the diamond was what (despite my academic accolades and 4.0 GPA) got me a teaching job before I had even graduated college.  The game has allowed me to travel to all parts of the country, and even do some coaching over in Italy.  Being an athlete has afforded me the ability to be self-employed, make my own schedule, work with only the athletes whom I choose to, constantly stay educated on the latest in health and fitness, and help girls achieve their collegiate dreams.

Sounds like a fairy tale, right?

Well, none of that just materialized.  There were tournaments, showcases, skill camps, lessons, and endless hours of practice.  There were (and still are) hours in the weight room.  There was also a devastating injury in my sophomore year in college (torn cartilage on the ulnar side of my throwing wrist) that made me question my devotion to the game.  Even after months of physical therapy, I absolutely thought that I would never throw well again.  I didn't even think that I would be able to use a fork and knife properly again!  This eventually sparked my interest in proper training techniques and appropriate pitch counts.  Finally, there were nights where I was so disappointed in my performance that I felt it would be possible to actually crawl in a hole and die of shame.

Basically, everything you are going through right now as an athlete: been there, done that - want to help you through it.  

If you are a coach, I have seen almost everything on that end of the spectrum too.

Every athlete and coach needs a community outside of his or her team to share thoughts, troubles and great insights.  Every athlete and coach should have access to experienced, objective information for free.  We should be able to share some funny stories and great tips.  This is your opportunity as an athlete.  This is your community.

Welcome to Secrets of the Diamond.

No comments:

Post a Comment